Effective in January of 2002, Assembly Bill 540 (AB540) allows out-of-state and undocumented students who meet certain requirements to be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at all public colleges and universities in California.
- Must have attended California high school for three of more years.
- Must have graduated from a California high school or attained equivalent degree (e.g. a General Education Diploma or GED).
- Must be currently enrolled or registered as an entering student at an accredited institution of higher education in California.
- Must fill out an confidential affidavit that says you will apply for US residency as soon as possible.
- AB540 does not give undocumented students access to state or federal financial aid.
- Ab540 does not provide a venue for undocumented students to adjust their immigration status.
Please visit AB540.com for a ton more of information!